Growing up with numerous teachers in her family, Taylor Renquist always knew she wanted to attend CU Boulder and become a teacher to make an impact on students. After double majoring in Spanish and Mathematics at CU Boulder, she came back for a one-year intensive in the MA+ Mathematics Teacher Licensure program. Taylor Renquist

As part of the first cohort of the program, Renquist did her student teaching at Niwot High School and will continue this fall at the school as a mathematics teacher after graduation. She is the 2024 Outstanding STEM Education and CU Teach MA+ Teacher Licensure Program Graduate. 

“In her student teaching placement at Niwot High School, Taylor has been very attentive to developing a student-centered approach in her teaching, with a focus on raising student voices and developing positive discourse practices within her classroom,” said Assistant Teaching Professor Ian Her Many Horses, one of her award nominators.

“We look forward to working with her as an educator in our community supporting students in ways that value their perspectives, ideas, and interests.”

In her own words

Please tell us a bit about yourself

I'm from Colorado—born and raised. I kind of always knew that I wanted to attend CU Boulder and be a teacher. Both of my parents graduated from CU. It is where they met and started dating. So, I grew up surrounded by all things CU. This included going to football games at Folsom, even when the football team was really bad. Thus, when I started looking at colleges, CU was at the top of my list. I completed my undergrad in mathematics and Spanish at CU and now I am in the MA+ program for secondary math education. My mom and many of my family members are teachers. I saw how they impacted students and wanted to do the same.”

What is one of the most significant lessons from your time at CU Boulder that you’ll carry with you into the next chapter?

Everything happens for a reason. My freshman year of undergrad, I lived in the dorms and got assigned a random roommate. We hit it off right away and got along really well, which was good because I started college in fall of 2020 and we were together 24/7 in a tiny dorm room. She ended up being my best friend and we still live together four years later. You have no idea who will come into your life or why.”

What is your best piece of advice for incoming students?

Your college experience may not be what you thought. I started college during Fall 2020, so the majority of my college experience was not normal. Even though my experience was very different than how I thought it would be, I do not have regrets because I learned a lot, met some new friends, and got involved in interesting clubs. 

Another piece of advice, go to office hours and talk to your professors. I am convinced that that is the only reason I have a degree in mathematics.”

What are your next steps after graduation?

I already have a job to teach at Niwot High School next year. I will be teaching Algebra I, Geometry, and Algebra II Honors. I am very excited to have my own classroom (and my roommate is very excited to decorate it)!”

Taylor Renquist photo collage