Published: May 3, 2024

Yazmine Lynette Patiño is passionate about supporting first-generation college students as one herself. Yazmine Patino capitol

“I’m the first in my family to receive a bachelor's and now a master's degree, both of which I could not have accomplished without the unwavering support of my family” she said. “Graduating from CU Boulder represents sacrifice, growth, and possibilities for myself and for my family.”

Patiño grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area, but she was drawn to CU Boulder's scenic location and the School of Education’s reputation for her master’s studies.

She has been selected as the 2024 Outstanding Master’s Graduate for Educational Foundations, Policy and Practice for her academic performance and her “diligence, thoughtfulness, and excellence in research” that she demonstrated in her classes as well as during her final capstone project. Patiño’s capstone project involved a thorough interviews exploring the experiences of staff members in pre-collegiate programs designed for first-generation and underrepresented students in higher education and it applied theories of community cultural wealth — centering students assets from their families, culture and experiences — and "acompañamiento” — the idea of learning alongside of students.

Patiño’s graduation is only the beginning. She hopes to continue working for the Colorado Department of Education or support first-generation students on college campuses.

In her words

Please tell us a bit about yourself

I'm originally from the San Francisco Bay Area in California, and I moved to Colorado almost two years ago to attend CU Boulder. After graduating with my bachelor's, I knew I wanted to return to school for my master's but wasn't sure what I wanted to study or where. I've always had a love for education and learning and loved the idea of being a part of others' educational journeys. With that in mind, I chose to pursue a master's degree in education. Both the beautiful location and the great things I had heard about the School of Education at CU Boulder drew me to apply for the master's in educational foundations, policy and practice.

What is one of the most significant lessons from your time at CU Boulder that you’ll carry with you into the next chapter of your life?

You, especially as a student, will never have enough hours in the day to read everything there is to read on a particular subject. And that's okay. It takes many, many years to become an expert, so as long as you continue to learn and read about the subjects that interest you, you will be okay. 

What does graduating from CU Boulder represent for you or your family/community?

Graduating from CU Boulder represents sacrifice, growth, and possibilities for myself and for my family. I'm the first in my family to receive a bachelor's and now a master's degree, both of which I could not have accomplished without the unwavering support of my family, especially when I decided to move away from home to attend CU Boulder. Every educational milestone has also represented the possibilities that are out there for my younger siblings, who now have an older sister to help them through whatever educational pathway they choose to follow. 

What is your best piece of advice for incoming students?

I would advise incoming students to make time in their schedule to meet with their professors and advisors at least once every semester. They have such a wealth of knowledge not only about the subjects they teach, but about academia in general that is worth tapping into. 

What are your next steps after graduation?

After graduation, I hope to either continue working for the Colorado Department of Education or work on a college campus supporting first-generation students. 

Yazmine Patino Collage