Lydia Mercante, a distinguished graduate from Long Island, will earn her B.EnvD in sustainable planning & urban design with a minor in business real estate. She believes that the past four years at ENVD have made her into who she is today and taught her who she wants to become.

Lydia Mercante grad picWhere are you from? 
Long Island, NY 

Tell us about your involvement and/or student leadership roles in and/or outside of ENVD. 
I have been involved in Kappa Alpha Theta for the past 4 years and served on the executive board as the Vice President of Panhellenic in 2022. Within ENVD I was the Professional Development Services Assistant and worked under Nate Jones. This helped me feel more involved in the ENVD community and allowed me to gain a lot of professional experience. 

What inspired you to come to ENVD when choosing your school? 
I have always known I wanted to do something with the built environment, but also not be an architect necessarily. I felt like ENVD offered a balance of design and a sustainability focus that was very attractive to me. I have also always been interested in merging urban design and commercial real estate so I knew I wanted to minor in business. 

What is one of the greatest experiences or lessons from your time at CU Boulder that you'll carry with you into the next chapter of your life? 
One of the greatest lessons I learned during college is that there are many aspects of life that can’t be controlled or are hard to manage and the only thing you can control is how you react. So, I have learned to react to hard situations with grace and kindness and try to always be the best version of myself. 

Based on what you know now, what is your best piece of advice for other students? 
My best piece of advice is to not take anything for granted. Life goes by fast and it’s important to take the time to enjoy it. Take time to do what you love and makes you happy, you are worth more than you may think. 

Lydia Mercante grad pic insideDescribe one of your favorite memories. 
One of my favorite memories was getting to go to Paris in May with a class in ENVD. We had the opportunity to go around the city and see all different kinds of architecture, museums, and exhibits. We did a lot of walking and sketching but it was filled with laughs and fun times I will never forget. 

What does graduating from college represent for you? 
Graduating from college is a hard experience to put into words. It is nerve wracking, exciting, and bittersweet all at the same time. I am looking forward to what life has to hold but these last four years have made me into who I am and taught me who I want to become. I will always look at my time at CU and with ENVD fondly and hope that the rest of my life will be just as enjoyable as these past four years have been. 

What are your plans beyond graduation? 
Honestly I am not sure yet, I am currently working for a non-profit affordable housing developer and am planning to work with them through the summer. After that the goal is to move back to NY and start working in the urban design industry. I am trying to take everyday at a time and do my best to network and find a job that I love.