Rick Bein

As mentioned at the top of the newsletter, if you have any updates, please let us know using our alumni update form or send an email with your information to the department. We would love to hear from you about how your career has progressed since attending CU. The updates below came to us via the form.

Frederick (Rick) Bein, BA 1969

• Completed the MA in Geography at the University of Florida 1971, Thesis: Geographic Shifts in Florida Citrus 
  • PhD in Geography at the University of Florida 1974, Dissertation: Patterns of Pioneer Settlement in Southern Mato Grosso, two case studies.
  • 1974-77 Visiting Professor of Geography University of Khartoum
  • 1977-78 Visiting Professor of Geography University of North Dakota
  • 1978-1996 Chair, Department of Geography, Indiana University Purdue University at Indianapolis 
  • 1996-1999 Research Professor, University of Technology, Lei, Papua New Guinea
  • 1999-2016 Professor of Geography, Indiana University Purdue University at Indianapolis
  • 2005-2006 Fulbright Professor, Universidade Eduardo Mondlani Maputo, Mozamibique
  • 2011-2012 Visiting Professor Moi University, Eldoret, Kenya
  • 2016- present Professor Emeritus, Indiana University Purdue University at Indianapolis

The BA Degree at CU opened the door to an academic career in Geography. From 1964-66, I served in United States Peace Corps in Brazil. Agricultural extension in southern Mato Grosso. I've published 50 some articles and papers.

Donald Friend, MA 1988

I have not wavered from the theme of mountain geography garnered at Boulder. I am now Distinguished Professor of Geography at Minnesota State University. I served AY 2019-2020 as a National Academies Jefferson Science Fellow in the Office of Global Climate Change at USAID.

I am honored and inspired every day to continue on as a geographer serving as a University Professor.

Andrew Canales, BA 1999

My degree in Geography set the stage for a successful 20 year career at DigitalGlobe, now Maxar Technologies.