Former CU Engineering student, Eric Benzel, chatted with us recently about his pathway to becoming a high school math teacher and department chair at DSST Cole High School, and why STEM careers are becoming increasingly important.

Tell me about your background. What attracted you to service and teaching?

I started college as a Civil Engineering major at CU Boulder, wanting to make a global impact in development. After a summer working as a camp counselor, I realized that working with youth was incredibly energizing to me, and I wondered if I could make a greater impact working with youth here in the states than working in development abroad. It was soon after this summer that I began to learn more about the achievement gaps between low-income and affluent students, especially in mathematics and science, and how great teaching could make a difference. I switched my major to Applied Mathematics, as at that time, there was no route from engineering into education. I began to take a few classes in the School of Education and working in schools to see if teaching could be a career path that I would enjoy and find fulfilling...it was!

After graduating from CU Boulder's College of Engineering & Applied Science with a BS in Applied Mathematics, I was accepted into the Math for America program and moved to New York City. There, I completed my MA in Math Education from Teachers College at Columbia University. After grad school, I helped to found a high-performing charter school in the Bronx, where I taught 9th grade Algebra and a Math and Origami elective course. Most recently, I worked at Brooklyn Prospect Charter School teaching IB Calculus and working as the schools Ed-Tech coordinator.

Was there a ‘lightbulb moment’ when you knew teaching STEM was your chosen career?

Definitely! I was hesitant at first to switch from a civil engineering path to one that would prepare me for teaching mathematics, as I was unsure of the long-term prospects of teaching. I was sitting in a seminar with Dr. Anne Dougherty, an amazing CU professor, when I realized how much I loved breaking down math concepts and could see myself teaching long term. She was incredibly encouraging and helped me map out a path at CU that would prepare me to enter the classroom out of college.

What was your favorite experience as a TEAMS Fellow at CU Boulder?

Everything! The TEAMS Program was such an amazing experience. My favorite week was probably a summer workshop we ran at Loma Linda Elementary School in Longmont. Each day we got to try on different engineering hats with the kiddos. My all-time favorite day was the last day when we engineered a water distribution system for a cardboard box village that the group had created together. It was so fun getting kids engaged in thinking about sustainable development in the 4th and 5th grades!

What great things are you doing at DSST Cole High School?

I'm super excited to be joining up with DSST Cole High School this fall. The DSST organization has such an incredible mission of building great schools that serve ALL of Denver's students and eliminating the education inequity that has been so persistent in the city. I will be teaching 10th grade Algebra 2 and Pre-Calculus. My goal is to help prepare students in my courses so that they come to love and appreciate math while having the preparation to enter a rigorous program, such as CU Boulder's College of Engineering.

What advice would you give to someone thinking about a career in teaching STEM?

My advice would be to get into the classroom as soon as possible to start learning about the field. CU Boulder has an amazing set of courses, called Step 1 and Step 2, that allow teaching-interested students to get their feet wet planning inquiry-based lessons and, ultimately, trying them out with students in local classrooms.

Why are STEM teachers vital to Colorado’s (and our nation’s) future?

Too few students are choosing STEM majors in college, especially students who are underrepresented in the professions. Almost every engineering or science graduate that I talk to had a teacher at some point who was central to their decision to major in STEM. STEM teachers are critical in ensuring that all groups of students discover how amazing the field can be and are prepared to pursue a STEM career in college.