The IDE program was formerly known as Engineering Plus ("e+"). Though the name has changed, the program has not. We have preserved this article for its useful insight into our innovative program and people.

Hi Beatriz! What is your current Emphasis and Concentration?

Mechanical Engineering and Engineering Management

Why did you choose Engineering Plus?

During the spring semester of my sophomore year I began noticing that I had a strong interest in taking business classes in addition to the engineering classes that I was already taking. After speaking to different business programs throughout the university there was no path that would fit my need or timeline for graduation; without having to spare a full summer and pay a high program fee. One day I came across the e+ booth in the engineering lobby and spoke with Jackie Sullivan, our program co-director, and another professor. It was a no brainer that the culture of the e+ program would fit my hands-on mindset, my creativity, and most importantly it would fit my need to take business classes while still graduating on time.

What do you want to do after graduation?

I plan to continue working in the sports product industry!

What did you do this summer?

This summer I interned at the Adidas North American headquarters in Portland, Oregon as a Footwear Quality intern.

How did you find your internship?

I researched every large sports company in the US and sent online applications to every internship program I could find. To my surprise Adidas responded, and within a month I had a contract and a plan for the summer!

What did you enjoy most from your summer internship experience?

I loved every single second of this experience. But most notably I loved the transparency and appreciation that the company shared with all of us interns. We were given unlimited resources and contacts to have a successful summer, as well as direct communication with the full executive board who were interested in truly learning from us just as much as we were from them.

How has this experience shaped your perspective for life after graduation?

This experience has made me feel confident and excited to join an innovative and exciting industry after graduation. I have no doubt that Adidas is the company for me, and I can say that I will be living that “three stripe life” for the foreseeable future.

What advice would you give to an Engineering Plus student looking to find their “dream” internship?

Prepare yourself to jump! I would never have imagined that I would have even stood a chance with a company like Adidas. Yet here I am about to start another journey with the company as a 6 month intern working at the Hong Kong location during a semester off before my final year. Send in your resume, reach out to employers, and follow your passion!