The IDE program was formerly known as Engineering Plus ("e+"). Though the name has changed, the program has not. We have preserved this article for its useful insight into our innovative program and people.

Hi Elijah! What is your current Emphasis and Concentration?

Architectural Emphasis + Entrepreneurship Concentration

Why did you choose Engineering Plus?

I chose e+ because I felt like it catered to my creative and ambitious sides. I'm an artist, I love designing and the challenge engineering gives. So, I chose an Architectural Emphasis, but I also have a passion for entrepreneurship and to run my own gig so hopefully that will lead to running companies one day. Engineering Plus does not prohibit this in my engineering career, it encourages it!

What do you want to do after graduation?

After graduation I look to work in third world development. I have a passion to help and experience cultures and communities in developing or impoverished communities. I want to use my engineering and design skills to better lives through the projects I work on.

Tell us about your trip over winter break!

Over winter break I lead a group of CU Boulder students to coastal Ecuador to meet up with students from UT Austin to make a difference and learn many things in a small community in Bahia De Caraquez. Together we helped build a home for a local family that had lost theirs during the horrendous earthquake that took place in Bahia back in April of 2016. On top of that we were able to learn from a famous Ecuadorian Architect, Robinson Vega, and explore the wonderful culture and environment of Bahia.

How did you find out about this opportunity?

I originally was a student who had decided to sign up for the trip. A former Engineering Plus student, Lauren, was recruiting for this opportunity and I signed up for what I didn't know was going to be an amazing experience but also an important part in my life and future.

What did you enjoy most from your trip to Ecuador?

This trip was a wonderful reminder of community and how important it is to disconnect, explore and give back. I met wonderful people and had deep meaningful interactions and talks that I felt helped me figure out some of the questions in my life. That usually does not happen in a fast paced American society, like the one we find ourselves in. Experiences such as those definitely stand out.

I learned through experience that often times we need to disconnect from the college life. Through stress, job planning, financial navigation and much more, I feel we find ourselves so caught up that we forget to breathe and relax for a bit. We need to take opportunities and try new things and let our minds explore. When we do this we learn so much about other people, life and also ourselves.

What are your plans after graduation?

I decided that making money and climbing this never ending ladder of success wasn't worth it if I wasn't going to be happy in the end and doing what I love. After graduation I want to pursue my dream of development in third world countries and communities. Regardless of pay or the lack of corporate spotlight, I know experiences like this add so much value to my life that I feel money or typical ideas of success will never make me as rich as this.

What advice would you give Engineering Plus students looking for a similar experience?

I would say go for it! I was nervous or unsure when I heard about the opportunity but it truly puts life into perspective. Study abroad, sign up for this trip or another like it because life is too short. The society we live in today is at times very dull and when you get out there and disconnect from your life in the states you slow down a bit and begin to actually experience authentic relationships, communities and honestly just life itself. So don't hesitate, take advantage while you are still young!