Published: Oct. 26, 2018

Hello Future Buffs! I just returned from traveling across the globe, and I’m excited to share with you some insights about my time abroad and what makes CU Boulder so special.

Hala Fares abroad 21. Where are you right now?

I just returned from 3 weeks in the Middle East and I am currently in Seattle for the Greater Seattle International Transfer Fair.

2. Where have you traveled in the Middle East?

I’ve traveled to Jordan, Kuwait, UAE, Bahrain, Oman, Saudi Arabia, and Qatar. I hope to travel to more areas soon!

3. What is your favorite part about traveling in the Middle East?

My favorite part would be eating all of the food (mahshi, minsaf, kufta and kebabs), and connecting with my students at fairs, school visits and one-on-one meetings.

4. What is your favorite thing about CU Boulder?

I love driving in every morning and looking at the mountains covered in snow. The kindness of people at CU Boulder amazes me every time I interact with them-- everyone is so friendly and welcoming.  

5. What’s the most common challenge for international students first arriving the US?

When I first arrived to the U.S. my biggest challenge was acclimating to a different culture and living in a large city. I was coming from a small town near Ramallah where the majority of the people were family members. Getting involved in the community and meeting other international students in ESL really helped me get my bearings and made me feel welcome.

Hala Fares abroad photo 16. Is it safe to live in the U.S. as a Muslim?

This is becoming a popular question for me when I am recruiting abroad. There are certainly areas in the U.S. that might not be as welcoming to Muslims, but I would like to say that Boulder is not one of them. One of the main reasons I moved to Boulder is because of the welcoming atmosphere. At first I was wary of people being too friendly and strangers wanting to chat with me, but then I realized that it’s just what people do in Boulder. They strike up a conversation for no other reason than to just connect with someone else.

At CU Boulder, there are so many programs on campus that highlight their support of International Students.The Office of Diversity, Equity and Community Engagement (ODECE), International Student and Scholar Services, International Student and Scholar Programs (ISSP), Boulder Friends of International Students (BFIS) are just a few of the programs in Boulder that are resources for international students. We hope you’ll take a closer look at all of the resources available to our vibrant international community!

hala fares photo

Hala Fares
Assistant Director, International Admissions
Office of Admissions
hala.fares@colorado.edu