Published: Nov. 9, 2018

I just completed my fall travel and was fortunate to visit students in various parts of Latin America. While I didn’t get to visit all the countries in my territory (I’m looking at you, Canada, the Caribbean, and the rest of Latin America), I do hope to visit in the future!

As this season winds down, I’ve been reflecting on my time abroad and what makes my job so rewarding and fascinating. I thought I would give you a glimpse into what life on the road is like for your admission counselor, plus drop in some tips on how you can prepare for our visit to your school!

Your day:

Before the visit: Take a look at our website! From there, you’ll be able to take a virtual campus tour, see if we have any programs of study that pique your interests, check out all the ways you can get involved outside the classroom (like joining the Taylor Swift Appreciation Club or Boulder Friends of International Students), learn more about our application and admissions criteria, read up on all the amazing research our students are doing, and really see if this looks like a place you could call home for the next four years. After doing that, consider writing down some questions you might have and bringing them to the visit. Feel free to email your counselor to let them know you plan on coming-- or even if you are unable to attend our visit, get in touch to let us know that you’re interested in CU.

During the visit: Introduce yourself and ask questions! We are here to help and we also want to get to know you. Take notes on what interests you or things that you’re wondering about, and be sure to write down any important deadlines as well.

After the visit: Since there isn’t always time to stick around after our visit to ask additional questions, please do follow up by email! We love to hear from our students and want to make sure we get all your questions answered, so don’t be shy! Once you feel confident and prepared, head back to our website and begin working on our application, if you haven’t already.

My day:

Before the visit: The night before the visit, I like to do a bit of research on your school and see if any of you have emailed me ahead of time. I also iron my black and gold clothes because I like to rep those CU Boulder colors! On the morning of the visit, I wake up early to make sure I have enough time to fuel up by eating a huge breakfast and drinking a lot of coffee before hitting the road. You’ll find that most international admissions counselors are obsessed with trying local cuisine and drinking all the delicious coffee from the region.

During the visit: As admission representatives, we are prepared for any type of visit, whether that be presenting to an auditorium of 200+ students, meeting with a small group, setting up a table in the hall of your school, attending a college fair, or just visiting with your school’s guidance counselor. Since I usually travel with a few other universities, we typically give a short presentation on our schools and then make sure there is plenty of time to answer your questions.

After the visit: I rush off to my next visit in another city or country! I try my best to keep up on emails while on the road, which sometimes means drafting them on the plane. But it’s not all bad because I occasionally get amazing views while working on emails, like this shot of the Andes Mountains!

Andes from the airplane

View of Andes

College fair in Mexico City

College fair in Mexico City

Costa Rica

In the airport in San Jose, Costa Rica

Quito

Visit in Quito

Food in Quito

Food in Quito

Reps from other Universities

Sugarloaf Mountain

“Written by CU Boulder Office of Admissions”