Published: Oct. 25, 2021

Kapil GangwarKapil Gangwar
Assistant Professor, Oregon Institute of Technology
Friday, October 29 | 8:00 a.m. | Zoom Webinar

Abstract: Several aerospace structures, including fuselage, wing ribs and solar arrays, utilize truss assemblies. In addition to providing the required strength and structure assembly, truss assemblies also provide an attachment points for engines, fuselage (with wing ribs), solar arrays, or external loads. Furthermore, depending on the cross section of the trusses, they may also contain electrical and cooling utility lines. As the research on aerospace structural engineering progressed, usage of trusses is still being considered in solar arrays in International Space Station, or for attaching a rocket engine to the launching vehicle. For the purpose of engineering mechanics statics, it is of utmost importance to maintain the integrity of the individual truss and the truss assembly overall. Phenomenon like bending, buckling, and rotation are prohibited in any truss member. Keeping the fundamentals of equilibrium of forces and moments, this lecture will demonstrate 1) method of joints and 2) method of sections to determine the forces in individual truss member.

Biography: I am an assistant professor in the Manufacturing and Mechanical Engineering and Technology department at Oregon Institute of Technology (OIT). My teaching and research focus is in the areas of metallurgical, materials and mechanical engineering with an emphasis on processes-properties-structure-performance. I received my BS (in Materials and Metallurgical Engineering) from Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur; MS (in Materials Science and Engineering) from Pohang University of Science and Technology, South Korea; and PhD (in Mechanical Engineering) from University of Washington, Seattle.

My research interests include Light Weight Alloys (Titanium and Aluminum), Bio-medical Implants, Friction Stir Welding (FSW), Severe Plastic Deformation (SPD), Metal Casting, High Pressure Die Casting, and Electron Beam Additive Manufacturing (EBAM) and Direct Energy Deposition (DED).

Prior to joining OIT, I was a research associate and an adjunct faculty at University of Northern Iowa. As a research associate, I leveraged skills gained at Tesla Motors as a Materials Engineering Intern to help OEM Manufacturers in the Midwest Region. As an adjunct faculty, I taught classes in the department of technology, graphics communication & printing management, engineering materials and production planning, management, and control.

In my current role, I am teaching undergraduate level courses in engineering materials, statics, dynamics, machine design, strength and mechanics of materials, mechanical behavior of materials.

Upcoming Seminars Calendar

All seminars are open to the public.