Author
PUBLISHED: | UPDATED:

As its population continues to grow, the town of Erie has decided to expand its staff by announcing the addition of a director of communications and community engagement to its organization.

Gabi Rae was recently appointed the new Erie director of communications and community engagement. (Town of Erie/Courtesy photo)

Gabi Rae, whose last name was formerly Boerkircher, has taken on the newly created position and will work closely with town staff to expand and improve Erie’s internal and external communication and engagement strategies. The position has been filled by Rae as of Feb. 1.

“I think at the moment my philosophy is just to listen,” Rae said. “I really want to come in and listen to the experts here on their programs, projects, and what they’ve been doing. Then, add in my own knowledge and expertise in the communications and engagement part of it to help their program shine.”

According to a news release, Rae is coming to Erie with eight years of experience working in communications with the Boulder County Commissioners’ Office. She has worked with several comprehensive communication and engagement projects, including flood response and recovery, updating organizational guiding values and COVID-19 response.

Rae received her master’s degree in organizational leadership and her bachelor’s degree in journalism from the University of Colorado Boulder, and her master’s certificate in publishing from the University of Denver. She previously worked as a news designer for Prairie Mountain Publishing, according to the release.

In her new position, Rae will audit existing communications and engagement to identify ways to improve, update the comprehensive plan, evaluate trash, recycling, and composting options, among other priorities.

“The work has already been exciting and challenging, and yet also very familiar,” Rae said. “I think it’s comforting coming into a brand new role and being able to bring some expertise that can translate over. I’m really excited to be in this role and see where it takes me and the town.”

Out of 75 applicants, Rae rose to the top based on the strength of her application materials and on an evaluation team’s assessment of her performance during a panel interview, a mock press conference, a timed writing assignment, and a one-on-one interview with the town administrator, all virtually conducted, the release said.

“Having run the evaluation gauntlet with professionalism, style, poise, and demonstrated expertise, I am sure Gabi will be a tremendous asset to the town,” Town Administrator Malcolm Fleming said in the release.