Published: June 1, 2020

CU online commencement 2020Last May, CU Boulder grabbed headlines with the “Snowmencement” of 2019. Sunglasses and sandals were swapped with ski goggles and boots. The high was 39 degrees.

This spring, in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the university replaced the in-person ceremony with a live-streamed event on May 16.

The conferral of degrees, reading of the Norlin Charge and recognition of outstanding graduates proceeded as usual. Hardcore History podcaster Dan Carlin (Hist’89) gave remarks in the annual commencement address. Individual colleges and departments further recognized the milestone with their own virtual celebrations.

Eleanor Alicea (StComm’20) viewed the ceremony in her Boulder home with her three other graduating roommates. Courtney Kauffman (ArchEngr, PreMed’20) watched in her parents’ living room with her brother and fiancé. Both participated in their individual college’s events.

“Although I am disappointed that I cannot have the full graduation experience in person with all of my classmates, I am happy that CU was able to adapt and still find a way to honor the Class of 2020,” said Alicea. “I plan to still hold my head high as I celebrate all of my accomplishments from my four years at CU.”