Published: July 10, 2023 By

Dramé Apparel

Jaida Drame (IntPhys, Soc’22), a track-and-field walk-on who didn’t run in high school, is departing CU as a world-recognized sprinter — and entrepreneur.

Drame tried out for track her sophomore year. She practiced 200- and 400-meters, trained solo and set personal records. She made the team in fall 2019, but then the pandemic struck. Eager to challenge herself and also bored during quarantine, she began altering and then designing clothes.

“My mom had bought me a sewing machine. I alter my clothes — I have long legs,” said Drame.

Drame modified athleisure styles before shifting to performance wear. She named her operation Dramé Apparel. Then, Name, Image, and Likeness (NIL) changes in 2021 allowed her to become a profiting business owner.

“Before NIL, it was Dramé Apparel or track. No crossover,” said Drame. “Now, I can push my own company.”

Drame will be in Boulder next year training with her running coach.

“I’m running for Senegal professionally,” said Drame. “And I hope to be wearing my uniforms.”

Buffs Bits

Jana Weinberger (IntlAf’06) was named CU’s director of skiing and Ian Lochhead as head alpine coach. … After women’s basketball’s NCAA Tournament Sweet 16 appearance, Quay Miller (Soc’23) and Jaylyn Sherrod (Soc’22, MSOL’23) announced they will return for their fifth and final seasons of eligibility. Head coach JR Payne signed a contract extension through 2028. … Lacrosse (11-8, 7-3 Pac-12) concluded 2023 with a run in the Pac-12 Tournament, ultimately falling 12-6 to USC in the championship on May 6. Charlie Rudy (StComm’22, MBus’23) and Sam McGee (MSOL’23) were named First Team All-Conference. … Buffs tennis (12-12, 3-9 Pac-12) advanced to the second round of the Pac-12 Tournament and earned a trip to the inaugural National Invitational Championship (NIT). … In April CU began a $12.3 million Athletics improvement project. The upgrades include lighting for soccer night games, a new training center for the ski team and track-and-field updates before CU hosts the 2024 Pac-12 Track & Field Championships.

Coach Talk

"We’ve got an extremely resilient group who genuinely love one another. It’s really gratifying to see them enjoy the fruits of their labor. This group does the work.”

— Tennis head coach Anthony Pham after CU defeated Oregon on April 26 to win its first Pac-12 Tournament Match in program history.

Digits

1

Filip Forejtek (CompSci’22, MDataSci’23) won the men’s giant slalom Individual National Championship on March 8 at the NCAA Ski Championships in Lake Placid, New York.

4

Buffs from the 2022 football team signed free agent contracts after the conclusion of the 2023 NFL Draft in April.

16

Washington tennis’ national ranking when the Buffs came back from down 3-0 to win 4-3 on April 9.

57

CU student-athletes received their degrees following the spring 2023 semester.

47,277

Sold-out attendance at CU football’s Black & Gold Day Spring Game on April 22.

Submit feedback to the editor

Photo courtesy CU Athletics