Published: Nov. 1, 2022

Hello CU Boulder community,

Since arriving on October 17, I have been blown away by the warm welcome I have received. I’ve been able to meet a lot of people in person and on Zoom. For those I haven’t been able to meet, I look forward to engaging with you soon. The warm welcome and open reception I have received has only underscored why I am so excited to join CU Boulder. I have been involved in higher education and public finance for more than 15 years and my commitment to higher education and CU is clear. Earning my undergraduate degree and then my master’s degree was the best thing I ever did. It opened all the doors to my career. Knowing how higher education transformed my life is what brings me to this job every day, and I hope to play a role in transforming the lives of others.

While it is the mission of higher education that drives me, I also have deep affection for budget models. (That might sound weird to anyone else, but those of you in the budget, finance and accounting fields might feel the same!) Previously, I led the development and implementation of an incentive-based budget model at CU Denver. Before that, I developed and implemented the state of Colorado’s first outcomes-based budget model for higher education. The reason I like this work is because I believe that models serve as a tool to increase transparency and improve the alignment of resources with strategic priorities. At CU Boulder, this—along with diversification of revenue sources—is what allows us to continue to carry out our teaching and research mission and be innovative. 

I also really enjoy the ability to work with staff, faculty and students. Being a CFO has given me the chance to work on projects and initiatives on a broad range of issues. The common thread is learning and building relationships. A lot of this was challenged throughout the pandemic, and in the short time I have been here, I have been in awe of the work that has been done at Boulder to build community and make progress to move the campus forward. 

For me, a collaborative and inclusive culture is critical to achieving even more success. I am committed to working with you all to promote a diverse, inclusive and just environment for our entire campus community. This starts with a focus on our people and building trust. I’ve seen how much faculty, students, alumni and staff care about this place. Working together we can continue to build a campus that’s a great place to work and to learn.

Outside of work, I am the proud parent of 11-year-old triplets and two poorly-trained dogs. I love playing soccer, listening to vinyl records and collecting pencils. 

I am so happy to be here and look forward to our journey, including tackling the challenges and opportunities that make CU Boulder such an amazing place. 

Todd Haggerty
Vice Chancellor and Chief Financial Officer