Published: Aug. 29, 2023

Emily Jensen portraitThe Department of Electrical, Computer and Energy Engineering at the University of Colorado Boulder is welcoming Emily Jensen to our teaching and research community. 

Jensen is joining as an assistant professor in the systems & controls research area, and will begin in spring 2024. Welcome, Emily! 

Biography:

Jensen began her higher education at a local California community college and went on to receive her Bachelor of Science degree in engineering mathematics & statistics at the University of California Berkeley, and her master's and PhD degrees in electrical & computer engineering at UC Santa Barbara. She has worked as a research and instructional assistant at the California Institute of Technology and has held postdoctoral appointments at UC Berkeley and at Northeastern University. 

Research:

Jensen’s research is centered around the analysis and control of spatially-distributed systems, with motivating applications ranging from power systems to satellite constellations to bio-inspired soft-robotics. She develops theory to characterize performance bounds, structural properties, and inherent tradeoffs in these systems as a means to guide controller design and improve system safety and performance. Her work has been recognized by awards including the UC Regents Graduate Fellowship and the Zonta Amelia Earhart Aerospace Engineering Fellowship.

I value the importance that CU Boulder places on quality of teaching and the student experience, in addition to being an institution of world-class research. I am excited to begin a career that combines my passion for working with students along with my love for science. Outside the classroom, I love that Boulder has so many opportunities for hiking with my dog, biking, and enjoying the outdoors!"