Astrid Sambolín Morales

As a doctoral student Astrid Sambolín Morales went above and beyond to actively contribute to the formation of a better community in the CU Boulder School of Education and the Puerto Rican diaspora communities of Florida, Denver, and Pennsylvania with whom she partnered. 

Make sure the work you do is something you are passionate about. You will dedicate a big chunk of your life to this. Surround yourself with people who see the value in what you do and what matters to you. You need your village, especially during the challenging times that make you want to quit."

From the moment Sambolín Morales arrived at CU Boulder, she became involved in key initiatives and service work that contributed to critical changes in the policies and practices of the School of Education. She joined the BUENO Center’s Strategic Planning Committee her first semester and the school’s Climate Committee shortly thereafter. In these roles she strongly and visibly advocated for student agency and voice across all program areas in the School of Education community, particularly those of her fellow BIPOC peers and those educated outside the mainland U.S. states. Sambolín Morales was one of the inaugural members of the Assembly Journal’s editorial review board and the planning team for the 1st year PhD Student Equity and Justice Workshop Series with Bethy Leonardi. 

These lived commitments fueled Sambolín Morales’ dissertation, which addresses a timely, significant, and largely invisible social and educational problem: the experiences and resiliency of Puerto Rican mothers–who were displaced alongside their families as a result of the devastating effects of Hurricane María on the island of Puerto Rico–as they supported the academic success of their children in the mainland U.S. school system and sustained the family in the new context. A native of Cabo Rojo, Puerto Rico, Sambolín Morales’ research and public scholarship is always close to her heart and homeland. Her work with Puerto Rican mothers fuels her work. She continues to leave a mark on the field just she brought about notable contributions and change to the School of Education for future scholars — some of the many reasons she has been named the Outstanding Graduate for Community Engagement and Public Scholarship.

“Astrid’s remarkable contributions exemplify the commitments, spirit, rigor, and achievements represented by this award,” the faculty nomination committee contends.

In her own words

Astrid Sambolín MoralesPlease tell us a bit about yourself

I was born and raised in Cabo Rojo, Puerto Rico. I originally wanted to pursue a career in information sciences after I completed my B.A. in English literature, but a part-time job as a tutor for the HEP program made me realize I loved working with students. I completed a M.A. in English Education at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez campus and was accepted as a PhD student at The Ohio State University, where I worked with Millie Gort. When she made the decision to accept a position at CU Boulder, she invited my husband and me to come with her. We accepted and, after finishing our first year as PhD students at OSU, we packed our bags again and moved to CU Boulder. The rest, as they say, is history.”

What is one of the lessons from your time at CU Boulder that you’ll carry with you into the next chapter?

I always tell anyone who will listen that I was lucky enough to have an incredibly supportive community at the School of Education. My wonderful colleague, Molly Hamm-Rodríguez, gave me the idea to conduct a pilot study in Florida to research the experiences of displaced Puerto Rican students and families post-disaster, and my committee members fully embraced the way I shifted gears for my dissertation and engaged in work that was so meaningful to me. The dean provided funding for the event Molly Hamm-Rodríguez, Francisco Torres, and I organized to commemorate the one-year anniversary of Hurricane Maria's downfall in Puerto Rico. Finally, Millie Gort and Jamy Stillman encouraged me to apply for a Spencer award, a step I wouldn't have even thought of without their support and encouragement. All these experiences taught me the importance of a supportive community of scholars that believe in you and your work. Without this community, I don't think I would have completed my degree.”

What is your best piece of advice for incoming students?

Make sure the work you do is something you are passionate about. You will dedicate a big chunk of your life to this. Surround yourself with people who see the value in what you do and what matters to you. You need your village, especially during the challenging times that make you want to quit.”

What continues to drive your passion for your work after graduation?

My work with Puerto Rican mothers. Building a community with them, learning with and from them.”

Astrid Sambolín Morales