Haydn Crouse

Haydn Crouse had several years of experience teaching in elementary schools and a solid undergraduate underpinning, when she realized she wanted to “become a better teacher for my students.”

Crouse, a kindergarten teacher in the St. Vrain School District, enrolled in the Literacy Education Master’s program a CU Boulder to better support her students’ literacy education and grow as a teacher, and her experience in graduate school fulfilled that dream and more.

“This, coupled with the experiences I had as a child who struggled with reading, gave me a strong desire to attend a Literacy Education program, so I could learn, grow, and continue to become the best teacher I could be,” she said.

A reflective and thoughtful educator, Crouse is motivated to support striving readers, as she makes sense of her own trajectory and supports she received as a student herself.  

She draws from her professional development and graduate studies in culturally and linguistically diverse education and her master’s courses in literacy to build meaningful literacy communities for diverse readers. Throughout her coursework, Crouse’s assignments and interactions with colleagues showcased a commitment to asset-based literacy instruction, building from and honoring the cultural backgrounds in her classroom, her faculty nominators said. Many of her students come from different regions, countries, and linguistic backgrounds, starting school in the U.S. in Longmont. Crouse is able to translate research around evidence-based instruction into responsive literacy instruction, assessment, and feedback that accounts for the different strengths and areas of growth in her classroom community.  

In addition, Crouse engages in collaboration with colleagues as a thoughtful listener and peer coach, in ways that keep students as the focus. She often shares her own experiences as a learner and about how she is growing as an educator—integrating what she is learning in ways that impact her daily classroom teaching.

When she crosses the stage at graduation, Crouse will be the first person in her family to earn a master’s degree. She plans to use the tools and knowledge she gained through graduate school to make a positive impact in the lives of her students and their educational experiences. She hopes other teachers will follow in her footsteps and find a graduate program that complements their continual growth as teachers.

“As a teacher who is working towards their master’s degree, you are in the most incredible position possible,” she said. “You are able to take the research practices you are learning in your courses and apply them directly to your instruction as an educator. You will experience how these practices work in a classroom setting with immediate feedback and reflection, get to participate in case studies and action research that directly support you as an educator, and work through your questions in education using knowledgeable, kind, nonjudgmental professors and colleagues as a soundboard. Although teaching and receiving a master’s degree can, at times, feel overwhelming, I am so happy I applied myself in both areas simultaneously.”

In her own words

Please tell us a bit about yourself

I am a fifth year kindergarten teacher who grew up in Louisville, Colorado surrounded by a family filled with love and support. For as long as I can remember, I have wanted to be a teacher. I cannot help but feel that being an educator is what I am meant to do and how I am meant to impact others in life.  My greatest aspiration when applying to and beginning the Curriculum and Instruction - Literacy Education program at the University of Colorado Boulder was to become a better teacher for my students.
When I began this program, I was in my fourth year of teaching, first teaching 3rd grade for two years and then moving both states and grade levels to teach kindergarten. Although I believe I received an incredible education in my undergraduate program, I knew there was a lot more I could learn about how to support my students in literacy. This, coupled with the experiences I had as a child who struggled with reading, gave me a strong desire to attend a Literacy Education program so I could learn, grow, and continue to become the best teacher I could be. The University of Colorado Boulder fit my desire to learn about educational literacy research-based practices while also having the opportunity to choose courses outside of the literacy education track that support my desires to become a well-rounded teacher. CU's continued advocacy for diversity and inclusion was also appealing to me, as I could keep these at the forefront of my learning and teaching throughout the program."

What is one of the lessons from your time at CU Boulder that you’ll carry with you into the next chapter?

Throughout my teaching career, I have always known that education is an ever-evolving field. My program at CU Boulder has taught me the value in educating myself in research-based educational practices. Adopting new practices in teaching requires a balance between keeping an open mind while continuing to have a critical lens. CU Boulder has provided me with the background, tools, and resources that allow me to continue learning and growing as an educator throughout and after my master’s program. This way, I can always be growing as an educator, while keeping the strong foundation I have learned through the Literacy Education program.”

What does graduating from CU Boulder represent for you and/or your community?

When I graduate from the University of Colorado Boulder, I will be the first person in my family to graduate with a masters degree. This is something I, and my family, take great pride in. Not only will I show pride for my family, but I will also show pride for my educational community, as I am bettering myself as an educator to support future generations of children. I plan to use the tools and knowledge I have acquired throughout my graduate program to make a positive impact in the lives of my students’ educational experiences. Graduating with a masters degree from the University of Colorado Boulder means I have not only accomplished a great task but I have also obtained a great amount of knowledge that will support me in my goal to be a better teacher for my students.”

What is your best piece of advice for incoming students?

My piece of advice for incoming students pertains to current teachers who are in the masters program specifically. As a teacher who is working towards their masters degree, you are in the most incredible position possible. You are able to take the research practices you are learning in your courses and apply them directly to your instruction as an educator. You will experience how these practices work in a classroom setting with immediate feedback and reflection, get to participate in case studies and action research that directly support you as an educator, and work through your questions in education using knowledgeable, kind, nonjudgemental professors and colleagues as a soundboard. Although teaching and receiving a masters degree can, at times, feel overwhelming, I am so happy I applied myself in both areas simultaneously. You can do it!”

What continues to drive your passion for your work after graduation?

The excitement and passion I have gained surrounding the knowledge I received throughout my program will be a driving catalyst to continue my learning after graduation. I will teach my students with a wealth of knowledge on how to support students in literacy as well as other aspects of their education. My drive to uplift and encourage my students’ success will continue my passion for education after graduation. I am extremely grateful for the professors and instructors I have had the privilege to learn from throughout my time at the University of Colorado Boulder. I will forever be thankful for each and every person who has helped me learn and develop my knowledge during my program, and I promise to never stop learning and pushing myself as an educator.”

Photo Collage of Haydn Crouse