Graham Buhse 

Graham Buhse has always strived to be the best teacher he can be and to help all students to feel safe and represented in his high school social studies classroom. 

Growing up in Boulder, he feels fortunate to have attended CU Boulder for his undergraduate studies and to return to the university to seek an MA in Curriculum & Instruction Humanities Education, because of the program’s flexibility and relevancy for his teaching.  

Now, Buhse has been selected as the program’s 2023 Outstanding Graduate, and he will cross the stage at graduation with tools and network of fellow educators who all help contribute to his expanded effectiveness in the classroom. 

Buhse’s nominators underscored his passion for teaching in the humanities and his consistent commitment to students, teaching, and equity throughout his graduate studies. He invests in inquiry that centers students and their opportunities for positive, humanizing school experiences while grappling with substantive issues of policy and practice. 

Buhse’s Master’s capstone research project focused on the use of formative and summative assessment in secondary social studies, and his peers and program faculty look forward to continued impressive contributions to the field. Buhse recommends incoming students follow in the footsteps of his graduating cohort and prioritize creating community with other educators. 

“Make as many connections with your fellow students and instructors as you can, as those relationships will help you long past your time as a student,” he said.

In his words

Please tell us a bit about yourself

I am from Boulder CO, I did my undergrad at CU boulder in history and education. I started my masters program at CU to further my effectiveness in the classroom. I picked my masters program as it provided me the flexibility to pick classes I felt would be most useful to me teaching high school Social Studies."

Grahm BuhseWhat is one of the lessons from your time at CU Boulder that you’ll carry with you into the next chapter?

I really appreciate the work the school of education instructors. The time they put in to helping students grow and the opportunities they provide make school interesting and fun.”

What does graduating from CU Boulder represent for you and/or your community?

I am a second generation CU grad. Both my parents went to CU as did my wife. CU is a beautiful campus filled with some of the best students and instructors in the world..”

What is your best piece of advice for incoming students?

Make as many connections with your fellow students and instructors as you can as those relationships will help you long past your time as a student.”

What continues to drive your passion for your work after graduation?

I want to be the best teacher I can be to help all students feel safe and represented in my classroom.”