Published: Dec. 4, 2023

Lori Lopez in her classroomTears of joy flowed the night Lori Lopez learned she is the 2023 Teacher of the Year for St. Vrain Valley School District (SVVSD).

“When the video announcing the winner started, I immediately recognized the flyover shots of my school and then my voice came on,” she said. “I'm pretty sure I grabbed my husband's arm really hard. There were a lot of tears, especially when the video showed my students.”

Then she realized her three children and parents were in attendance at the awards ceremony, and there were more tears. Education has always been important to her family, with her mother a veteran middle school teacher and her oldest son interested in teaching. 

Lopez knew she wanted to teach in first grade, and now she is a first-grade teacher at Alpine Elementary School in Longmont. Colleagues and her students complimented the warm and joyful learning environment that she creates.

Lopez earned her master’s degree at CU Boulder in 2009. She said graduate coursework allowed her to expand her skillset, delve deeper into education research and apply best practices immediately to her classroom. It also provided a community of educators to share successes, struggles, brainstorming and encouragement. 

Being in community with other educators is central to the “adventure of teaching,” she said, and it is one of the reasons the Teacher of the Year honor is so meaningful.  

“There are so many amazing teachers who often don't receive the recognition they deserve, so when we do get honored, especially something to this degree, it is very special,” Lopez said. 

“It was humbling looking at the audience when I took the stage and seeing so many deserving educators. I appreciate being recognized for my hard work and dedication day in and day out.”