Becky Komarek with husband and son at the beachBecky Komarek is the Associate Director of the Idea Forge and has been with the college for 9 years. She earned her BS and MS degrees in civil engineering, an MS in higher education before moving to Colorado, and earned her PhD in civil engineering with a focus on engineering education. At the Idea Forge, she supports operations, strategic partnerships, and teaches courses related to design and professional skills.

How are getting involved and/or hoping to get involved within the CEAS community?

I just joined the Engineering Staff Council and was elected as chair. I look forward to better understanding the issues staff members care about and finding creative ways to make our experiences here more rewarding.

How do you enjoy practicing self-care and/or community care?

My favorite form of self-care is meeting with friends to play sand volleyball. This community of players consists of dozens of women who range in age from mid-20s to late 60s. I didn’t know how volleyball, which I have played since I was 12, could be a lifelong sport until I moved to Boulder. Even beyond the physical activity, the social benefits are significant. The women I’ve met playing volleyball have become some of my best friends.

For community care, I volunteer with the Colorado Women’s Education Foundation (CWEF) to raise money and provide scholarships to Colorado women aged 25 and older who are pursuing higher education. Juggling the challenges of school, work, and family life as an adult can be a huge struggle, and CWEF provides funding and other support to make the load a bit easier.

What’s the best way for others to collaborate effectively with you?

I love collaborating with others. I think it’s even one of my Strengths Finder strengths – working alongside others toward a common goal (Relator). I like when everyone has an equal seat at the table and feels heard and respected.

What is a motto or quote that you hold dear and why?

“To see the world, things dangerous to come to, to see behind walls, draw closer, to find each other and to feel.” This is the motto of “Life” magazine, and I came to it through the movie The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. It reminds me that there is always more to learn, things aren’t always what they seem, and that the people are what matter most. I highly recommend the movie. It’s fun, doesn’t take itself too seriously, and has a message that I believe in. Plus, it’s full of great music and beautiful scenery.

Which TV show do you never miss?

It ended in 2015, but I really love Parks & Recreation. The first season isn’t great but it takes off from there. All of the characters are just such …. characters. Back when Netflix started they’d tell you what your favorite genre is that their algorithm used to suggest shows. Mine said, “You like quirky comedies with a strong female lead.” That is very true and this show is exactly that!

What was the first concert you attended?

My first concert was the Smashing Pumpkins. I was a freshman in high school and my brother was a freshman at the University of Illinois. The Smashing Pumpkins were playing at the campus basketball stadium. I slept on the floor in his friend’s dorm room in the girls’ wing of the engineering dorm where he lived. I remember walking across campus and he yelled out, “I-L-L!” and some random person on the other side of the quad yelled “I-N-I!” (This is the University of Illinois cheer at games). I later graduated from Illinois, and this may have been the beginning of my love of college campuses.

What is the best advice you have ever been given?

My mom once told me simply, “You just have to ask.” Essentially this simple advice landed me summer jobs in college, funding for my engineering MS degree, and numerous other personal and professional opportunities that have led me to place I am today.