Dan, his wife Liana and their mutt, KingDan Larremore is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Computer Science and the BioFrontiers Institute. His research uses mathematical models to understand dynamics in complex systems, including infectious disease transmission, faculty hiring and attrition, and online dating. Dan received the 2022 Alan T. Waterman Award, presented by the National Science Foundation (NSF) and has been recognized by Popular Science as one of their "Brilliant 10" for 2022. He grew up in Wheat Ridge, CO and now lives in Boulder with his wife Liana and their fluffy rescue mutt, King. 

Describe one of your favorite traditions.
When any graduate student in my group has a paper accepted, I hand them the bottle of champagne I bought when they first submitted the paper. At the next group potluck, they bring that bottle, say a few words about their work and journey, and then share the champagne with everyone. When any one person succeeds, we all get to celebrate, and share our victories with each other.

What is an ordinary moment in your life that brings you joy?
I absolutely love riding my bike to work on snowy mornings. With so few folks out and about, and snow under the tires, it's doubly quiet on the paths. It's also impossible to go fast. I bundle up, take it slow, and enjoy the ride.

What was the first concert you attended?
In 7th grade, my bff and I saw No Doubt, The Goo Goo Dolls, and Bush at Red Rocks. I still can't believe we went without any adult supervision and before cell phones, but it was the 90s.

What’s the best way for others to collaborate effectively with you?
This one's easy: propose that we meet to discuss our work at Efrain's — the Mexican restaurant now next to McGuckin's. I can count on one hand the number of times I've said "no" to Efrain's.

Who would you most like to meet and why?
My maternal grandfather, Sidney. I was too young to know him when he still had his mind, but he shaped me in so many ways, and I think we would have gotten along famously — he was a statistician and chemist. We never had the chance. By the time I was an adult, dementia had made him slow and gentle, quiet and kind. Except, every once in a while, at the chess board, he'd have a lucid spell and absolutely obliterate his opponent in a couple dozen moves. 

What is a motto or quote that you hold dear and why?
"Never believe an experiment until it has been confirmed by a theory." This adaptation of a bit of Sir Arthur Eddington's book New Pathways in Science is dear to me because it's funny, but also so deeply motivating as a scientist! The experiments and data that drive us a little mad, that we kick around in our heads till we get them sorted out, are the ones we can't explain with theory.