Karen GanssKaren serves as the Assistant Director of Partnership Programs and has been in CEAS for more than 3 years. A native of the San Luis Valley, she’s proud of her small town Colorado roots (and has also lived in Oregon and Southern Utah). Karen has a bachelor’s degree in business administration from Western Colorado University and a master’s degree in college student services administration from Oregon State University. In her free time she enjoys trail running (actually all kinds of running), paddle boarding, gardening, crafting (making greeting cards in particular), camping, listening to audiobooks/podcasts, and watching Raider football.

How are you getting involved and/or hoping to get involved within the CEAS community?
I’m a member of the Engineering Staff Council and it’s been wonderful to meet other amazing staff members from across the College through this group.  I’ve felt very empowered to make real positive change for staff members across CEAS, and have also made some great friends!

Describe one of your favorite traditions.
Every Christmas growing up (and still today), my mom makes an Angel Food cake that we eat for breakfast to celebrate Jesus’ birthday!  It’s a really unique tradition that I’ve only heard of my family partaking in, which makes it extra special.

What is an ordinary moment in your life that brings you joy?
I walk about a mile to and from campus (my office is based at Colorado Mesa University) and it’s so nice to prepare me mentally for my work day.  I also love observing the happenings of the day, the weather, and those around me.

What has been your favorite work or personal project so far?
I have one of the best jobs within CEAS because I get to work with our unique partnership programs on the Western Slope, where students are able to get a CU Boulder CEAS degree while residing the entire time in Grand Junction (with Colorado Mesa University) or Gunnison (with Western Colorado University).  I would say seeing the growth of our program with Western and the dedication of the faculty at CMU to students, and just being a part of these communities has been really rewarding.  So my favorite work project would be overall supporting students in more rural Colorado communities in achieving their engineering goals! 

Where is the best place you’ve traveled to and why?
San Juan de la Maguana, in the Dominican Republic – I was blessed to travel here a couple times leading a group of pre-health students on a medical mission trip.  The people are amazing, and visiting always gives me such a fresh perspective on the privileges we have as Americans.

What’s something most people don’t know about you?
My dad collects classic cars (mostly Ford mustangs) and I spent most of my childhood summers driving across Colorado to car shows in one of his muscle cars.

One thing you’re willing to spend way too much on...
Food prep – really, I feel like I am constantly chopping vegetables for a salad, throwing meat in the crockpot, or portioning out fruit and yogurt for snacks for the week. 

Who would you most like to meet and why?
Amy Trask, the former CEO of the Oakland Raiders, who during her time there was the highest ranking female official in professional sports.  I think it would be awesome to hear about her journey into that position and what interactions with Al Davis were like.