Published: Dec. 5, 2023

Dorothy Noble hiking in the mountainsMy name is Dorothy, and I have been working in the Department of Civil, Environmental and Architectural Engineering since 2008, first as a PRA in Scott Summers’ lab, while I pursued a master’s degree, and since 2016 as the lab manager/senior PRA for the Environmental Engineering Program.

In my time at CU, I’ve been involved in many research projects and have helped a lot of students through the lab. It’s always bittersweet when they graduate. My main area of research interest is water quality, especially drinking water quality and disinfection by-product formation.

I have three kids; two are in college and one plays professional soccer in Europe. I love to hike, ski, snowshoe, paddleboard – basically I love to do anything outside. This summer I completed the Tour du Mont Blanc (TMB), an 80+ mile hike through France, Italy and Switzerland, and I absolutely loved it! 

Describe one of your favorite traditions. 

Watching the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade with my family.

What is an ordinary moment in your life that brings you joy? 

Every time I sit on the couch, my dog Chico lays on the couch next to me with his head either on my lap or touching my leg.

What do you most like to do to unwind? 

I walk the dogs or have a glass of wine with a friend.

Where is the best place you’ve traveled to and why?

The TMB trek because it was challenging, the views were breathtaking, and I got to do it with a bunch of my friends.

What’s something most people don’t know about you?  

I like to lift weights, kickbox and do yoga.

What is one thing you’re willing to spend way too much on? 

Travel!