Published: Nov. 14, 2017 By

Dana Stomo oSTEM vice president

Tell us about what you're involved in at BOLD. What do you love about it?

Last Spring, my friends and peers elected me to be their Vice President of oSTEM. The CU Boulder chapter of oSTEM has only been around since Fall 2016,  and just this semester it has more than quadrupled in regular attendance and membership. I love the perfect balance between professional opportunities and unforgettable social outings. Our members have so much dimension in their personalities and stories and so much passion in their field and in their community.

How would you describe the BOLD Community? Why did you get involved with BOLD/why do you think students should get involved with BOLD?

I first learned about the BOLD community by applying to be a BOLD Scholar as a Freshman and I'm so glad I got to spend my entire time as a college student in this community. It's a space where you aren't asked questions about what you do or have to navigate through comments about how "challenging engineering must be for you." I think people with unique backgrounds make brilliant engineers because their experiences endow them with powerful perspectives that inspire design and innovation.

What is something a lot of people don't know about you but you wish they did?

I'm Romanian. 100%. When my dad was my age, he ran away from communist Romania. With Romanian parents, you learn from a young age that life isn't easy. My grit and dedication to hard work is inspired by my immigrant parents, who worked their way up from owning nothing in a strange new country to giving me the chance to go to school and become an engineer.

What problems do you want to solve as an engineer?

I'm an artist at heart and that's given me a somewhat unique approach to engineering. Rather than identify problems and deduce solutions, I find inspiration to apply ideas in different contexts and solve a problem I didn't realize existed. Engineering is my art.

What new/exciting things are happening with the effort you're involved with at BOLD?

For the first time in a long time, the LGBT+ community for STEM majors is lively and always has a great turnout. I've watched relationships grow and become stronger and I know this community is making a huge impact on the experiences of freshmen on this campus. oSTEM worked hard for over a month to secure funding to take 8 members of our society to Chicago for the society's National Conference. So many incredible changes were implemented in oSTEM just this semester and it's been inspiring to see the effects.

What is your favorite food? (We really like food around here)

Home-cooked Romanian food!

What superpower would you have if you could have any?

In Teen Titans, Starfire has the power to learn anyone's language by kissing them. I want that.

Anything else you want us to share with the BOLD community?

Last month, I attended the Out 4 Undergrad Engineering Conference and it. Changed. My. Life. I want everyone to attend this conference. Ask me about it!

oSTEM playing laser tag

The oSTEM team at their orientation this fall playing laser tag