Laurel ChappellArchitecture major and Colorado native Laurel Chappell was inspired by the intersection between science and art that ENVD offered.

“Laurel, thank you for welcoming me so kindly into the ENVD community. We met when I was just a freshman and you were a junior, yet you were still so inviting and became one of my closest friends since. I will miss your presence around the third floor but I am also so excited to see where your future takes you. Thank you for inspiring me these past two years and being the best role model I could ever ask for. Your commitment, talent, and work ethic will take you so far and I will always be one call away waiting to hear where that is... Best, Leah”  –Leah Lawson

Laurel ChappellI just want to thank my classmates for all the inspiration and support. I loved watching all of us grow as designers and as friends throughout the program. Knowing that a portion of the future is in the hands of my peers in this program definitely gives me hope. I'm excited for the day when we can all be together again and celebrate our accomplishments.

What inspired you to come to ENVD"
I transferred from ASU where I was a biochemistry major and was looking for a smaller program that was more hands-on. ENVD was definitely that and offered a nice middle ground between science and art that really intrigued me. Beyond that, the opportunity to begin studying and producing design solutions while in school was such a cool opportunity.

What will you miss most?
The community. I can't imagine where I'd be without the ENVD family. I can't say thank you enough to the people I met in the program who have made such an impact on myself as a designer and human being. I could walk into that building any time of the day (or let's be real, at night) and know there were people there to socialize or work with. I think that's a special thing that ENVD has fostered.

Favorite memory?
I have so many favorite memories from ENVD, most of them are from the all-nighters. Things get pretty funny at that point, but I'll keep this a little more formal. Last semester my model failed the night before my review, which was crushing. I had pretty much decided that I wouldn't have a model until my best friend Kaitlyn showed up and we made my model between midnight and 7:30 in the morning. It turned out to be the best model I think I've made (you can see it above).

What are your plans beyond graduation?
Right now I'm applying to grad schools. I would really like to continue my design education. My grandpa has always told me "the larger the island of knowledge, the longer the shoreline of wonder." As much as I have learned in my time at ENVD I now have even more curiosity for the field.

Portrait by Nicholas DeFaria, B.EnvD '19