Published: June 28, 2020

Alexandra Pesce, a sustainable planning and urban design major from Connecticut, felt that ENVD encompassed the perfect balance of creativity and mathematics, while also maintaining a tight-knit community. 

Alexandra PesceMy classmates have been some of the best friends, leaders, and role models I could ever ask for. Through the good times and the bad, I find that my ENVD classmates have been such positive influences throughout my college experience. In this major, I have made some of my best friends; ones who I can create with, be confused with, be excited with, and be proud with.

What inspired you to come to ENVD when choosing your school?
Beginning in a different, more math-based major, I realized ENVD encompassed the perfect balance of creativity and mathematics, all while having such a tight-knit community of friends, faculty, and mentors.

What is one of the greatest experiences or lessons from your time at CU Boulder that you'll carry with you into the next chapter of your life?
One of the greatest lessons I've learned in my time at Boulder is to always be yourself because the right people will love you for it. My friends + mentors have been my biggest support system here, and I am fortunate enough to say they kept me motivated and made such a strong impact on my life and my passions.

Alexandra Pesce, a sustainable planning and urban design major from Connecticut, felt that ENVD encompassed the perfect balance of creativity and mathematics, while also maintaining a tight-knit community. Based on what you know now, what is your best piece of advice for other students?
Don't be afraid to speak up for yourself and ask when you're confused. Your faculty is there to help you, and your friends and peers can learn from you!

Describe one of your favorite memories.
While I could probably state thousands of them, one of my consistently favorite memories would be late nights at the Environmental Design building working our butts off to get our projects done. My favorite and most valuable night would be the time my first-year studio teacher, Seth Wildenberg, came in after midnight to check on us and make sure our projects were going alright. The professors and students in this program all really care about each other, which is something I strongly value, going to such a large university.

What does graduating from college represent for you?
Graduating from college represents the fortune, blessings, and struggle that have all come to fruition after these four (hard) years. The feeling of the saying, "hard work pays off" is truly an overwhelming sensation come graduation day.

What are your plans beyond graduation?
With coronavirus taking effect, I will either be moving to New York City or Denver to start a career in design & development. I cannot wait to get out into the field of my dreams!