Luke Duarte-Silva Barry, an architecture major graduating Cum Laude, plans to attend graduate school at CU Denver and work towards becoming a licensed architect in Colorado.

Luke Duarte-Silva BarryBe proud of what you have accomplished and have the courage to keep going.

Where are you from?
I was born in Vietnam but grew up in New Jersey

Tell us about your involvement and/or student leadership roles in and/or outside of ENVD.
In the Summer of 2021, I took part in the Rome Global Seminar studio with Marianne Holbert. I had some of my best experiences on that trip. My thesis on Post-Hurricane Urban Form will be receiving honors this spring. I spent a lot of time working with ENVD and outside faculty on my research. I have also enjoyed helping the Design Support Hub, helping students transition back into the studio work environment

What inspired you to come to ENVD when choosing your school?
I liked how ENVD allowed me to cycle through other disciplines before I fully committed to architecture.

What is one of the greatest experiences or lessons from your time at CU Boulder that you'll carry with you into the next chapter of your life?
I have learned that having a strong passion for what you do will make all the work more fun and worth it in the end.

Based on what you know now, what is your best piece of advice for other students?
Don't overcomplicate your ideas and designs. A simple design with strong, justified ideas has always been a successful strategy for me in studios.

Describe one of your favorite memories.
My favorite memory was when our entire study abroad group went to the beach after a long week of work. The program we were with rented us a bus so we could stay the night. We went paddleboarding in the ocean and had one of the best meals of the trip there.

What does graduating from college represent for you?
To me, it represents that I made the right choices along the way to be where I am right now.

What are your plans beyond graduation?
I plan on going to graduate school at CU Denver to get my master's in architecture and eventually get licensed in Colorado.