Published: May 2, 2022

Andrew Rowe collageAndrew Rowe, a product design major graduating with a certificate in lighting design, considers this chapter to be his biggest success, so far, as a first-generation student. 

Andrew RoweThank you! Thank you for creating an environment I could be myself, and for accepting me as the designer and human being I am.

Where are you from?
Arvada, Colorado

What inspired you to come to ENVD when choosing your school?
Design of everyday life.

What is one of the greatest experiences or lessons from your time at CU Boulder that you'll carry with you into the next chapter of your life?
The unexpected friends you make along the way.

Based on what you know now, what is your best piece of advice for other students?
Be present. Pay attention to what you’re peers and other designers are doing. Your greatest inspiration will come from them.

Describe one of your favorite memories.
After my capstone's final review, a bunch of us went out together for the first time. What I had started to realize was true. The struggles and successes we all felt together formed a bond I can’t describe. I’ll never forget my final studio and the people who made it so special.

What does graduating from college represent for you?
The biggest success of my life… so far. I’m so proud that I finished as a first-generation student, and that I got to work alongside amazing peers and mentors.

What are your plans beyond graduation?
To live. To finally follow my own path, one not dictated by parents or culture. But one that defines who I am and who I want to be.