Bryan Martino grad feature collageBryan Martino earned a double major in architecture and ecology and evolutionary biology. Martino won a Fulbright Scholarship to pursue his masters degree in Integrative and Architectural Design Research at the University of Stuttgart, Germany.

Bryan MartinoIf, at some point, you didn't bleed, sweat, or cry on your project, you didn't get the full experience... 

Where are you from? 
Fort Collins, Colorado 

What inspired you to come to ENVD when choosing your school? 
It was an intuitive choice. I love biology, but ENVD is where I could explore creative ways to apply biology to sustainable architecture. 

What is one of the greatest experiences or lessons from your time at CU Boulder that you'll carry with you into the next chapter of your life? 
Work towards what feels right... not what's easy, fast, or convenient. I am proud that I followed my own path through undergraduate, and graduated with two degrees, rather than miss out on ENVD. 

Based on what you know now, what is your best piece of advice for other students? 
Change and evolution represent a cornerstone of the human experience, which means that life is not a straight line. There may be times when we take two steps forward, and one step back. So here's my takeaway: what you know matters, but who you are matters more. Who you are matters *immeasurably* more than what you know. Therefore, don't worry about taking the wrong step. Instead, just follow your unique path. 

Describe one of your favorite memories. 
Sharing snacks with my peers in ARCH 3100 while finishing our final models. 

If you could say anything to your classmates what would you say? 
If, at some point, you didn't bleed, sweat, or cry on your project, you didn't get the full experience... 

What are your plans beyond graduation? 
I am blessed to have been admitted to the Integrative Technologies and Architectural Design Research M. Sc. program at the University of Stuttgart, beginning in winter 2023. This is where I will continue my studies into theory-based applications of biology in architecture. 

What does graduating from college represent for you? 
Graduation represents a milestone in my self-identity as a designer. It's an exciting point in my career where I can dive deeper into topics that interest me in both academic and professional settings. 

Tell us about your involvement and/or student leadership roles in and/or outside of ENVD. 
Fall 2020: Growing Up Boulder intern, Spring 2021: ENVD Peer Advisor, Spring 2022: ENVD 1024 Teaching Assistant