Published: Jan. 21, 2022

Portrait of Alyssa Ortiz '23Congratulations are in order for Colorado Law 2L Alyssa Ortiz! We are thrilled to share that she has been elected to serve as Editor-in-Chief of Volume 94 of the University of Colorado Law Review

A graduate of Seattle Pacific University, Ortiz is currently President of the Immigration Law & Policy Society on campus and serves as a 1L Mentor with the Women's Law Caucus. 

Meet Alyssa Ortiz!

Thanks so much for chatting with us, Alyssa.

It's my pleasure!

So, what inspired you to pursue a legal education?

I started working at a refugee resettlement agency the day after President Trump's travel ban went into effect. I was randomly placed on their immigration team and witnessed very directly how volatile refugee work can be.

Given that experience, and my grandmother's experience as a Japanese-American during World War II, I knew immigration law was what I wanted to do. Before I came to Colorado Law, I worked at two immigration law firms where I met a number of attorneys who encouraged me to go for my J.D. 

Do you have a favorite class so far? 

Criminal Procedure with Professor Levin! Everyone should take that class. 

If you had a personal motto, what would it be? 

Every human is human (a quote from Tracy Kidder, Mountains Beyond Mountains)

And how do you envision your life after law school? 

Following law school, I'd like to work in removal defense. One long term goal I have is to train public defenders on the immigration consequences of criminal convictions. Outside my career plans, I eventually want to own a home with a GIANT garden.