Matt Zafiratos and Jane Thompson

Matt Zafiratos and Jane Thompson

During her 35 years with Colorado Law’s William A. Wise Law Library, most recently as associate director of faculty services and research, Jane Thompson has witnessed and taken part in many rewarding partnerships between law school staff and faculty. As a tribute to these collaborative relationships, Thompson, who retired on Jan. 4, 2022, has established a fund to help staff further their educational pursuits.

The Matthew C. Zafiratos Fund for Staff Education honors Thompson’s longtime colleague and friend Matt Zafiratos, the Wise Law Library’s faculty services assistant for the past 15 years, for his outstanding service to the library and law school, intellectual engagement, and compassion.

“I am overcome with gratitude for the fulfilling career and opportunities CU has afforded me over the past 35 years, and even more for the supportive community of law faculty, staff, and students with whom I’ve had the privilege to work,” Thompson said. “The purpose of the fund is to express my deep appreciation to all Colorado Law staff, encourage lifelong learning, and assist staff in achieving their educational goals and aspirations."

Thompson began her career at the Wise Law Library as an instructor and head of public services in 1987 and transitioned to head of faculty services in 1994. She was later promoted to senior instructor and associate director of faculty services and research. During her long tenure, Thompson helped oversee the library’s migration from a card catalog to several iterations of online catalogs, and she created the library’s first website homepage. She was instrumental in developing the library’s physical collection and research databases, and in curating digital collections, including the faculty scholarship collection, David H. Getches and Getches-Wilkinson Center archives, and Arizona v. California litigation.

“I am grateful and thrilled that our colleague and longtime faculty member Jane Thompson has decided to pay it forward by creating the Matthew C. Zafiratos Fund for Staff Education with a very generous gift to honor her time at Colorado Law,” Dean Lolita Buckner Inniss said. “The staff is the backbone of Colorado Law. They are the key to our success and our future.”

“Earlier in my career I was fortunate to secure funding for my education from a variety of sources: jobs, local grants, student loans, partial scholarships, etc.,” Thompson said. “I hope this fund can be one of those sources for our staff, whenever the desire and need arise.”

To learn more and contribute to the Matthew C. Zafiratos Fund for Staff Education, please visit giving.cu.edu/Zafiratos or contact Jill White at jill.white@colorado.edu.