Published: July 21, 2023 By
Maryam Jamshidi

Maryam Jamshidi will join the Colorado Law faculty as Associate Professor of law in August. Professor Jamshidi teaches and writes in the areas of national security, public international law, the law of foreign relations, and tort law.  

In particular, her scholarship focuses on the relationship between the private sphere and national security law as well as the law of foreign relations. In exploring these dynamics, Professor Jamshidi’s work draws on political and critical theory, as well as sociology. Her work has appeared or is forthcoming in the Washington University Law Review, Cornell Law Review, the Harvard National Security Journal, the University of Colorado Law Review, and Hastings Law Journal. She also regularly publishes in popular media outlets. 

In this interview, Professor Jamshidi sits down with Colorado Law’s Emily Battaglia to answer a few questions about her career as she prepares to join our faculty.  

Hi Maryam, we are so excited to have you join us here in August! Thanks for your willingness to answer a few questions to help our community learn a little bit more about you. 

MJ: It’s my pleasure!  

You will be moving here from Florida, which is quite a big change. Outside of your new position, what are you most looking forward to about life in Colorado?   

MJ: I’m looking forward to being in such close proximity to the mountains. I’ve always wanted to live near mountains but have never gotten the chance until now. 

I noticed that you have a master's degree in political theory. How has that background/expertise informed your current work?  

MJ: It informs my work in both granular ways – in terms of specific thinkers – as well as in broader, more normative ways. A lot of my work explores issues relating to the relationship between individuals and communities and state power. These are questions central to certain strands of political theory as well, which I draw from in my work. 

Speaking of your work -- can you share a little bit about any current projects you have been working on?  

MJ: I am currently exploring how private parties enforce, shape, and expand the scope of economic sanctions. Sanctions are generally understood to be state-driven policies—my work attempts to complicate that assumption by highlighting the important role played by private actors.  

What will you miss most about your previous role – and what are you most looking forward to in your role here at Colorado Law?  

MJ: I will very much miss my students. They were a down-to-earth, smart, committed, and fun bunch to teach. I’ve heard great things about the students at CU so am looking forward to getting to know them. I’m also happy to be at a school where academic freedom is supported and valued – something that is no longer the case at public institutions of higher education in Florida. 

Thank you so much for your thoughtful answers, Maryam. For my final question I would love to know -what is your proudest career accomplishment so far?  

MJ: Becoming a law professor. I didn’t follow a very traditional path and still pinch myself that I’m here.