Published: Aug. 17, 2023 By
Nolan anderson

With the academic year quickly approaching, Colorado Law is looking forward to welcoming the incoming class of new students. Over the next few weeks, we are highlighting some of our incredible 1Ls through a series of brief profiles.  

Originally from Lamar, CO, Nolan Anderson (he/him) attended the United States Air Force Academy (Class of ‘16) and earned a B.S. in Political Science and a minor in Russian. In addition to his degree, he has completed various continuing education and training courses through the military pertaining to aviation, surveillance and reconnaissance, analysis, and leadership.  

Meet the class of 2026’s Nolan Anderson! 

What inspired you to pursue a law degree? 

NA: I've always known I've wanted to serve my community and found early on in my undergraduate studies that being a part of the decision making and dialogue within policy making is one of the most effective and impactful ways one can serve. I figure a law degree will equip me with the tools and understanding I need to do just that, and open networking opportunities other courses of study cannot. 

What is your current profession?  

NA: Up until the day classes start, I am an intelligence officer in the Air Force. Currently, I am working with a military trial defense lawyer in Colorado Springs through the DoD's SkillBridge program. 

What are your hobbies outside of work and school? 

NA: I've been focused on exploring Colorado this past summer now that I have finally made my way back here, so anything outdoors at the moment! Other than that, lifting weights, running, cooking, catching a movie, video games, and I can't resist a good fiction novel, be it sci-fi, fantasy, or something else entirely. 

What are you most looking forward to this upcoming academic year? 

NA: That’s a tough one because I know there’s still a lot I don’t know about law school. I’m very much looking forward to discovering which area of the law I feel most passionate about. I’m also excited to meet my peers and professors and finally get back into a true academic setting after having been away from one for so long.  

Why did you choose Colorado Law? 

NA: Colorado has always been a special place for me. I may be a little biased from growing up and completing my undergrad here. After visiting and living in several different states due to personal travel and mandatory military moves, I never imagined another area I’d want to set down roots and pursue law in other than Colorado. After researching the law schools here, I quickly learned Colorado Law was the right choice for me. From its stellar academics, particularly in environmental law, to the networking opportunities it provides, to its unbeatable location, I was sold after coming to visit for a tour last year.