Published: Sept. 8, 2023 By
Julia o rourke

With the academic year underway, Colorado Law is excited to welcome our new students. Over the next few weeks, we will be highlighting some of our incredible 1Ls through a series of brief profiles. For our next 1L highlight, meet Julia O’Rourke (she/her) 

Originally from Marion, Massachusetts, Julia most recently worked as an Assistant Dean of Admissions at Bowdoin College. She attended Bowdoin for undergrad, then did a Fulbright fellowship in South Korea and worked for College Advising Corps (AmeriCorps) before returning to work at Bowdoin. 

Meet the class of 2026’s Julia O’Rourke! 

What inspired you to pursue a law degree?  

JO: My Education Law professor in high school, George Isaacson, demonstrated how law can be a powerful tool for access. After working in the nonprofit and higher education realm for a few years, I could see how a legal education could help me further advocate for the folks I was encountering in the education system. While there were excellent services provided at the institutions I was working for, I am eager to generate equitable practices on a systemic level. 

What are your hobbies outside of work and school?  

JO: My dog, Pippin, joins me for runs and hikes. I am in a fantasy football league with my brother and love to follow professional track and field. And baking is one of my favorite hobbies as well! 

Why did you choose Colorado law?  

JO: I loved how collaborative the community seemed to be here. And many of my family members live in Colorado; I'm stoked to be near them! 

What are you most looking forward to this upcoming academic year?  

JO: I am excited to take in all sorts of knowledge about the legal system, key cases, and to meet fellow students!