Published: Dec. 1, 2019

Peter GumbleWhere are you from? 

I grew up in Keswick, Virginia, just outside of Charlottesville.

What schools have you attended? 

For my undergraduate degree, I attended the University of Virginia. 

What do you like to do in your free time? 

Anything outdoors (e.g., skiing, mountain biking, hiking, volleyball, sailing, climbing, diving, kayaking, fly fishing). I also love seeing live music, playing guitar/banjo/ukulele, visiting the planetarium, and I'm learning west coast swing dancing!

Please share about your research. 

I am currently enrolled in the Mechanical Engineering (Design Focus) and Engineering Management dual degree program. While I am not formally doing research, I am focusing on spacecraft design, and I am pursuing the Satellite System Design Certificate from the aerospace department.

Where do you see yourself in ten years? 

Director of Programs or Engineering for a company developing spacecraft and spacecraft hardware. I really believe in what NASA and the space industry is currently doing, and I want to be involved. My backup plan is to move to the Fakarava Atoll in the Tuamotus and open a dive shop/eco resort. Either works really.

Anything else you'd like to share?

I’ve only recently discovered my love of traveling, especially internationally. It really helps to expose you to new ideas, open your mind, and gain perspective on our community and our lives. Boulder is amazing, but I think it is hugely beneficial to escape the bubble from time to time. It helps keep you balanced, which is especially important when doing the deep technical work we do here.