Published: Nov. 30, 2023

The Kenneth Johnsen Graduate Student of the Month awards recognize outstanding students who excel academically and are an exemplar for the Department of Mechanical Engineering.

Samuel LamontSamuel Lamont

What is your hometown?

My hometown is called Bristol and is located in the beautiful Finger Lakes Region of upstate New York.

What schools have you attended?

I did my undergraduate education at SUNY Binghamton and spent 10 months at École Polytechnique in Palaiseau, France, during the fourth year of my PhD.

What do you like to do in your free time?

I enjoy cooking, hiking, and playing games, but I prefer to spend most of my free time rock climbing with my friends

Can you tell me a little bit about your research?

I study the unique mechanical behaviors of dynamic polymer networks. These are ubiquitous in both biological and engineering materials and their dynamic nature is commonly leveraged to enable “smart” functionalities such as self-healing, high extensibility, and time-dependent response. My research involves developing theoretical models that connect the micro-topology of these networks to their emergent behavior.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

Certainly pursuing research in the field of theoretical solid mechanics. Wherever that research takes me, in terms of location and position, is much more difficult to predict.

What is your favorite thing about attending CU Boulder for your graduate degree?

Easy access to the mountains!

Is there anything else we should know about you?

As the youngest of six children, I have always had a competitive spirit. Those around me know that I am always up to be challenged to a game of cards, pool, or chess (or anything else, really!).

Amiy YadavAmiy Yadav

What is your hometown?

My hometown is in Lucknow, India.

What schools have you attended?

I did my undergraduate in bachelor’s of technology in mechatronics engineering from the University of Petroleum and Energy Studies, Dehradun, India.

I love to hike in my free time. Or go for a run when there is time restrictions. I really like to do nature photography as well, which coincides with my hiking activities.

Currently, I’m program assistant for senior design. I don’t have a research topic yet.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

I would love to start business for automated medical equipment or be in a higher ranks in a research and development department of a robotic surgery team.

My favorite thing about CU Boulder is the people. I’ve met such amazing group of wonderful individuals especially the professors who guided and supported me to the highest capabilities throughout my program.

I’m currently trying to hone my entrepreneurial skills which would advocate me in starting a new business.