DevinI’ve had the honor of being a Buff for the past 13 years, and I’m so grateful to be a part of such a special community here at CU Boulder.  

Being a Buff can mean a few different things for campus community members. For some, it means living in alignment with our Colorado Creed and acting with honor, integrity and respect. For others, it may mean giving back and participating in service opportunities. And for many of us, being a Buff means supporting each other—in the classroom, at athletics games or off campus.  

With a new academic year underway, take time to reflect on what being a Buff means to you. To help you get started, here are a few defining characteristics of being a Buff and traditions to participate in this year.  

Buffs are involved 

I’ve worked in various roles during my time at CU Boulder, and each year I’ve observed something significant regarding students who have positive experiences on campus. I’ve noticed that students who found ways to get involved often have better experiences and have a better sense of belonging on campus.  

Involvement can look different for everyone, and it’s never too late to join that group or try something new—there are always opportunities. As we move further into the fall semester, I encourage you to think about how you’re getting involved and explore your options this year. Whether you just started at CU or you’re in your final year, no matter your interests or academic program, I guarantee that there is something here for you.   

Buffs are proud

One strong characteristic of our Buff community is our pride—how we celebrate each other and recognize each other’s accomplishments. From academic to athletic achievements, being a Buff means lifting each other up and cheering each other on. 

A new Buff tradition that I hope to see you at is the Student Gameday Huddle this football season. Come join the new tailgate tradition before home games to cheer on the Buffs, enjoy free food and giveaways, and enter for a chance to be named the Student Fan of the Game . I hope to see you there! 

Buffs take care of each other  

Being a Buff means being part of the CU Boulder community. Being part of this community means looking out for one another.  

Stay in touch with your friends and classmates and check in to see how they are doing, especially during stressful times. If you notice a fellow Buff who may be struggling—whether it’s with academics, mental health or other needs—please share campus support resources or reach out to Student Support and Case Management

Whether it’s situations in the classroom, in the residence halls or off campus, do your best to look out for your fellow Buffs. If you’re ever concerned about your safety or someone else's, keep an eye on the situation and don’t hesitate to call for help. Review more information about how you can be an effective bystander and look out for other members of the community. Take safety precautions when you can, like using the buddy system and getting home safely by using CU NightRide, and take care of each other. 

As your acting dean of students, I look forward to advocating for you and supporting you during this academic year. I hope you all have a great fall semester! 

Devin Cramer 
Acting Dean of Students and Associate Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs 

Published: Sept. 13, 2023