Those wishing to film or photograph on CU Boulder's campus are required to fill out an application for an external filming and photography permit. News Media do not need a permit to film on campus. Please reach out to email@example.com with questions. The information below contains our standard film and photography policies, please read thoroughly before submitting a permit application.
Strategic Relations and Communications is responsible for managing and processing motion picture, video production and still photography requests by qualified production companies to work on the CU Boulder campus and associated properties. Please download and read the film, television and photography guidelines before contacting Strategic Relations and Communications.
Please note that the University does not endorse social life or lifestyle reality television nor productions featuring violence, discrimination of any kind, sexual situations, drug or alcohol use. Nor do we allow the use of the University’s name in advertising to endorse products or companies without the president’s approval.
This requirement does not apply to photo or video shoots on behalf of departments or other CU Boulder units, or local television or national networks covering daily news stories. Notification that a reporter and/or production crew is coming to the campus is appreciated. If there are questions or assistance is needed please contact our office. You will be required to submit a film permit application and sign a location agreement.
Yes, filming on campus is permitted only if it does not interfere with normal university business and/or previously scheduled events; the University’s academic mission is of primary importance. A University of Colorado Boulder photography, motion picture, video and television permit is required to film on campus. The permit can be approved only when all of the following requirements have been met:
- Specific date(s) and location(s) are confirmed and approved by SRC.
- University personnel, if required, are available.
- Parking Services approve parking plan for both production vehicles and private cars. Call 303-735-7275.
- Certificate of Insurance (see INSURANCE below) is received by the SRC no less than two (2) business days prior to filming.
- Full payment of all fees, and other estimated charges, are received by SRC no less than two (2) business days prior to filming.
- All security and damage deposits, if required, are received by SRC no less than two (2) business days prior to filming.
- The APPLICATION for the CU Boulder PHOTOGRAPHY, MOTION PICTURE, VIDEO AND TELEVISION PERMIT is completed and returned to SRC ten (10) days prior to filming.
- A signed FILM LOCATION AGREEMENT.
Yes, you do need permission to film at the various locations and facilities on campus. Please contact the appropriate departments, if needed, for permission to use their facilities. Below is a list of popular departments and facilities for your reference:
- Athletics 303-492-5497
- Program Council 303-492-7704
- Macky Auditorium 303-492-8423
- School of Music (Music Theater, Grusin Music Hall) 303-735-7584
- Recreation Services 303-492-1214
- CASE (Center for Academic Success and Engagement)
- CU Heritage Center 303-492-6329
- Old Main Theater 303-492-8008
- Fiske Planetarium 303-492-3749
- Theater and Dance/Colorado Shakespeare Festival 303-492-1137
- Museum of Natural History 303-492-6892
- CU Events Planning (for presentation rooms, lecture halls or classrooms)
Yes, you do need insurance to film at the various locations and facilities on campus. Company shall carry sufficient insurance to cover any and all liabilities that may occur during its use of university property. The university must receive a Certificate of Insurance and an Additionally Insured Endorsement, naming The Regents of the University of Colorado as additionally insured, for the day(s) of filming, load in and strike a minimum of two (2) business days prior to filming and/or load in. Coverage must be as follows:
- $1,000,000 (one million dollars) for general liability, including property damage;
- $1,000,000 (one million dollars) automobile liability, including hired and non-owned vehicles;
- Statutory limits/worker’s compensation;
- $1,000,000 (one million dollars) employee liability.
The certificate Holder shall be: The Regents of the University of Colorado, University Risk Management, 1800 Grant Street, Suite 700, Denver, CO 80203-1187. Certificates must be sent via e- mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy sent to SRC at email@example.com. Policies shall be primary to all other coverage that may be concurrently in effect. All policies shall be underwritten by a company licensed to do business in the State of Colorado. Office of Risk Management 303-735- 5900.
Yes, the cost to shoot at CU Boulder is a combination of the CU Boulder film permit fee, event manager staffing costs, parking, police or other miscellaneous services needed for the shoot. Please note separate fees may apply for use of campus facilities. For contact information, please refer to the ATHLETICS AND EVENTS SERVICES section of the guideline.
The PERMIT fee is based on a half-day/full day/flat rate system. The time coverage by the permit begins when the first production vehicle arrives until the last one leaves on the day(s) of the shoot. The Half-Day is six (6) hours and the Full Day is twelve (12) hours. Any shoot over six hours will be considered a Full Day, and any shoot over twelve (12) hours will be charged additional fees based on hourly rates.
Commercial Film/Television Production Companies
Full Day: $2,000.00
Overtime Rate (over 12 hours) hour: $120.00
Public/Cable Television Production Companies producing educational based programing
Full Day: $300.00
Independent/Documentary Production Companies
Full Day: $250.00
Non-Commercial Educational Production Companies
Flat Rate (up to 10 hours): $150.00
Still Photography Companies
Flat Rate (up to 10 hours): $125.00
Sample Staffing and Parking Fees
Event Manager*: $75.00 per hour
Community Safety Officers: $30.17 per hour
Police: $77.20 per hour (typically CUPD requires officers work in pairs);
University Memorial Center Security: $22.50 per hour
Athletics Security: $30.17 per hour
* Billed Event Manager hours will include scouts and preparation, shoot day and wrap.
* Separate fees may apply for use of campus facilities. For contact information please refer to the ATHLETICS AND EVENTS SERVICES section of the guideline.