Published: March 8, 2024 By

Aaquib Tabrez, a 5th year PhD student in the Department of Computer Science advised by Assistant Professor Bradley Hayes, won the People's Choice award for the graduate school's Three Minute Thesis competition. The competition challenges students to describe their research within three minutes to a general audience after a few months of preparation. 

To celebrate Tabrez's accomplishments, let's learn more about his research and experience with the competition and graduate school at CU Boulder. 

Please briefly summarize your thesis:

I design novel algorithms that enable robots and autonomous systems to more effectively explain their decision-making processes to human collaborators. This enhances the ability of individuals to place appropriate levels of trust in these systems. The aim is to make these systems more transparent, trustworthy, and reliable across various human-robot team settings, including manufacturing, autonomous driving, and search and rescue operations. By improving human-machine communication and collaboration, we can significantly enhance the effectiveness of these teams.

Specifically, my work involves teaching robots how to teach or coach humans during collaborative efforts. Additionally, I investigate situations where people may over-trust or under-trust the recommendations and guidance provided by robots. My research explores various methods and techniques to mitigate these mismatches in trust by offering suitable explanations from the robots.

How does it feel to be recognized as the People’s Choice for the Three Minute Thesis competition?

It feels absolutely incredible. Public speaking hasn't always been my strong suit, particularly with my Indian accent. Competing in such a big competition has been a significant confidence booster. It’s truly rewarding to see people acknowledging my research and the hard work I’ve put in here at CU Boulder.

What inspired you to submit to the competition?

My advisor has always stressed the importance of being able to articulate our research to those outside our field. Plus, as an expert, I believe that I am best suited to explain what is happening within my field and my work to make sure people don’t misunderstand it. Participating in this competition seemed like the perfect opportunity to hone those communication skills.

Tell me a bit about yourself. How did you come to study at CU Boulder?

Before joining CU Boulder, I was working a typical 9-5 job. I did not like the monotony and the lack of learning opportunities. So, I wanted to try something different which would be intellectually challenging. I also like philosophy and was interested in figuring out how people think. So, I thought, why not try to do the same for robots? That basically motivated me to apply here, specializing in robotics. Plus, I was a big H.G. Wells fan when I was a kid, so that kinda motivated me to consider robotics.

What goals do you have for the future? 

Professionally, I would like to run my own research lab, working closely with those directly impacted by emerging technologies, such as healthcare workers and teachers. My goal is to explore how these advancements can bring about tangible improvements in their fields and their personal life. On a personal level, I love hiking, and I want to explore as many countries as possible and hiking trails around the world.

What advice would you give to a student considering graduate school?

One thing that has really helped me throughout my PhD is being physically active, whether it's going to the gym, running, or hiking. It gives me a sense of clarity and a rush of adrenaline that helps me think through any situation. Graduate school is both fun and challenging, filled with distractions, doubts, imposter syndrome, and deep bonding with the people around you. Surround yourself with supportive people who can help you overcome these challenges. Don't hesitate to ask for help when you're not in a good place; there are so many people ready to lend a hand when you ask for it.